Saturday, October 29, 2011

In addition to...

My previous writings, I'll be including blogs about food, cooking, and those moments of culinary creativity.

For example, this one...

My mom used to have these huge red raspberry bushes in her garden. These bushes grew LOTS of berries. Mom always had enough berries for a pie or two, plus berries to freeze for future pies.
One year, Mom had so many berries, my Uncle Tom said he'd take some. A few weeks later, he returns with these bottles of red liquid. He said he made raspberry vinegar, then gave them to us. We didn't know what to do with it, since our family wasn't so culinary at the time. So the bottles were in the cupboard waiting to be used.
When I lived off campus at UW-RF, I was offered to take the raspberry vinegar bottles. One time, I was making some homemade barbecue sauce, but ran out of vinegar...so I ended up using the raspberry vinegar. It was sweeter than I was used to, but good. After that, I did get more courageous with the raspberry vinegar.

The last gift Uncle Tom gave me was a large blue bottle of his raspberry vinegar. I never realized it until after his death that he passed his culinary creativity onto me with that bottle.

When he passed away, all I wanted was four recipes from him. One of them was the raspberry vinegar recipe. My cousin, Meighan, sent me the recipe. I have made raspberry vinegar plus adapted the recipe to make cranberry-orange vinegar, pomegranate vinegar, blood orange vinegar, strawberry vinegar and blueberry vinegar. Black raspberry vinegar is still eluding me, but all this creativity is in my uncle's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment